Thursday, August 15, 2019

Making the Most of SharePoint Managed Metadata – Managed Navigation Demo


Over the past couple of years (2018 and 2019), I have been making a presentation at several SharePoint conferences titled “Making the Most of SharePoint Managed Metadata”.  In the presentation, I do several demonstrations that show how to use some of the advanced features of the Managed Metadata Term Store to help your business users get more value.  In this blog post, I am providing the “backup” slides I have on hand for one of the demos in case something goes wrong with the live demo – such as loss of Internet connectivity!

Anyway, here are my “backup” slides for my Managed Navigation demo that essentially document what I show the crowd in the live demo. 

In this demo, I show how you can achieve something similar to the global navigation experience that SharePoint Online now offers using Hub sites and associated Team Sites (see this blog post for what that is all about), but by using the traditional SharePoint Publishing Site template along with traditional Team Site templates.  This can be done in SharePoint Server 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and SharePoint Online.

In my demo, I show how to create a new Team Site and then “associate” it (actually, the official terminology is “Pin Term with Children”) with the main Publishing site by inheriting its Managed Metadata-based Global Navigation.


No comments: